Friday, January 07, 2005

The Morning Read

Back home for a few days before doing a San Diego / Chicago / Washington DC trip next week. Today feels like a vacation day just knowing that I'll be in my office (and that, time permitting, I'll be able to slip out a bit early).

Several items of note this morning:
  • You're my bestest friend! I'm sorry, but you'd think that, when faced the prospect of naming the highest cop in the land, you'd look a bit further than your best buddy from Texas. I'm sure Alberto Gonzales is a great guy and all, but is a man who described portions of the Geneva Convention as "quaint," and who argued for narrowing the definition of torture to "excruciating and agonizing pain," really the best man for the job? At least his definition qualifies the Bush legacy of Attorneys General as torture.

  • iParty, do you? The new new thing: iParties. Bring your iPod, select your 7-minute play list, plug into the PA, and rock the house. I dunno ... cool, I guess, but this close a marriage of geek, fad, and clubbing strikes me as oddly creepy. The concept has already crossed to Australia, so it must have some legs, but here's at least one guy who thinks iParties are for losers.

  • Who's the rat here? Remember the classic Fear Factor 100th episode from a few months back when the contestants had to eat blended rat shakes in the heart of Times Square? Ahhh, good times. Well, in a bid to further prove our increasing inability to take responsibility for our own fucking lives, paralegal Austin Aitken has filed suit against NBC for $2.5 million:

    The hand-written, four-page lawsuit said: "To have the individuals on the show eat and drink dead rats was crazy and from a viewer's point of view made me throw-up as well as another in the house at the same time."

    Mr Aitken, who lives in Cleveland, said that after becoming light-headed, he ran towards the bedroom and knocked his head in a doorway.

    Ouch. Maybe it knocked some sense into the silly bastard. In an ironic twist, the suit also states that NBC was "sending the wrong message to viewers that cash can make or have people do just about anything beyond reasoning." No kidding. Now, is NBC at fault for bad taste (pardon the pun)? Sure, but give me a break.

  • Huh? The day SI calls the Rams / Seahawks game a "marquee matchup" is the day SI has jumped the shark. I'll stick with esspin, thank you.

  • The next blog: Me, Myself n I. Prepare yourselves. At the very least, a view into how instant messaging is changing the English language ...
That is all for now.

6 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Blogger Charley Foster said...

What kind of paralegal handwrites a complaint?

Anyway, I ought to sue HIM for evoking the indelible image of a doughy, 49 year-old “paralegal” leaping from the couch and projectile vomiting as he runs across the room headlong into a doorjamb. But then, I probably watch too much TV.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Michele said...

I'm going to sue you for making me look at that blog.

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger j said...

What really pisses me off is a sentence like "To have the individuals on the show eat and drink dead rats was crazy and from a viewer's point of view made me throw-up as well as another in the house at the same time." Key-ryst! I would bitch slap that drip 'til he crapped his pampers if he wrote that sentence in my law office, then fire him on the spot. Makes my skin crawl, really.

And, by-the-way, I'm sick and tired of this whole homo-sapien ethno-specie-ism. Cats eats rats all the time: what are we, better than cats? Rats are "gross," but cows, pigs, sheep, fish, squid, lobsters and Cornish game-hen are just ducky (no pun intended)? We're all carbon based, get over it.

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger j said...

and Michelle, love, don't be so hard. She's a 20 year old Sinapore resident whose interests include "orcas, dusky dolphins, kitty, canoe polo, teddy bears, care bears, scrumpee, and looking pretty!" wtf do you want?

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Everett said...

Mmmmmm ... rats ...

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Michele said...

mmm...dolphins

 

Post a Comment

<< Home