Tuesday, January 18, 2005

How To Become A Mind Reader

As part of my job and education, I've forgotten more about nonverbal communication than most people ever learn. And I have to tell you, it gives a person an edge. In poker, for one. In negotiations, for another (never shit a shitter ... and never shit a shitter who understands nonverbal markers of confidence and diffidence). And finally, in day-to-day conversation.

"How'd you know that's what I was thinking?" I often hear. "Well", I think, "because it was right there on your face all along."

Now you can read minds, too: DataFace: Facial Expressions, Emotion Expressions, Nonverbal Communication. A nice online summary of the data. For a less academic take, read this excerpt from Gladwell's Blink.

Now ... go all in. He's bluffing ...

2 Comments:

At 11:40 PM, Blogger Christina said...

Do you play poker?

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Everett said...

From time to time, but not often. I've wanted to put a local game together. You?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home