Monday, January 10, 2005

A Day In The Life: Monday

When people find out how much I travel, they often ask "how do you do it?" My answer: like anything else, you get used to it and you live like it's normal.

That said, as I was walking through the airport this morning I was thinking about my life of travel and I was thinking about Grand Staircase and I thought, "How do I do it? Why don't I blog it?" So I decided this week to blog my life in detail, morning to night.

Welcome to my world.

We'll begin with the beginning (always a good place to start). Here's today, Monday, January 11th.
  • 5:15 am: Rise with wife. Make coffee. Process morning email, read the morning news on the web, kiss wife goodbye as she heads to work, and blog until 7:15.

  • 7:15 am: Shower, pack, and print boarding pass.

  • 8:00 am: Meet driver and get in Town Car for ride to airport (I usually drive myself, but this trip is an exception). While in car review day, read new email, and read a Chicago Tribune article about a client on my Treo phone. Eat half an Atkins bar to take the edge of the appetite.

  • 8:35 am: Arrive at airport. Navigate security (only 5-10 minutes today), and spend 30 minutes walking the airport to get a little exercise. See a colleague and chat for a few minutes. Spend 10 minutes in line waiting to board flight.

  • 9:30 am: Board flight. Take seat in First Class (frequent travel has some advantages), call office, call wife, read Gladwell's Blink.

  • 9:30 am EST - 1:15 pm PST: With taxi time, flight time, and holding patterns, the flight from the East to West coast takes 6 and 3/4 hours. During that time I read Blink, eat lunch (a cold curry chicken wrap number ... ohh, the luxury!), watch the film Wimbledon (Kirstin Dunst stinks and is totally unconvincing but Paul Bettany is great as the male lead), catch a 45 minute nap, and work.

  • 1:15 pm: Disembark in San Diego.

  • 1:30 pm: Board Hertz bus, get rental car, and drive to client location. Call office, check email on phone, call wife, and have a project-related call with a colleague while in the car.

  • 2:15 pm: Grab lunch; catch up on news (via Treo phone) and email at table.

  • 3:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Coaching session with client. Today's issues: resolving a set of long-standing conflicts with a peer and managing up to her boss.

  • 5:15 pm: Depart client office. Drive into San Diego Gaslamp Quarter for dinner (part of my New Year's resolution to see more of the places to which I travel). Have "touch base" call with another colleague while in the car, take client call, check in with wife.

  • 6:00 pm: Arrive Gaslamp Quarter. Take 30 minute walk while evaluating places to eat.

  • 6:30 pm: Dinner at the bar at a San Diego brew pub. Watch OU/U Conn hoops game on bar TV; read news on Treo phone.

  • 6:55 pm: Take call from client; promise to return call shortly. Finish dinner.

  • 7:05 pm: Return call to client; coaching conversation regarding important presentation to management committee tomorrow and a difficult feedback conversation she needs to have with a subordinate. During call walk back to car and begin drive to hotel. Call wife as well to say good night.

  • 7:30 pm: Arrive hotel and check in.

  • 7:30 - 10:30 pm: Unpack, check and process email, read blogs (check out Bloglines if you haven't already), surf the web, all with TV on in background.

  • 10:30 pm: Lights out. (U:date: Or so I thought. Instead of getting some sleep like any reasonable person, I stay up until 11:45 watching TV. Not smart, given that it was 2:45 am EST.)

3 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder how your day would have gone if it took place as recently as the 1950s. Technology presents other opportunities doesn't it? g

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Mr. Dart said...

Interesting verb choice to "navigate" security. It sounds like Odysseus making his way through Scylla and Charybdis.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Everett said...

I had some Scylla once, but a little penicillin cleared it right up ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home