Saturday, December 25, 2004

Morning Reads: Christmas Edition

Feliz Navidad! Welcome to TGS, Christmas-style.

We're enjoying the morning at my sister-in-law's home. We're sitting in our PJs, she in her Santa hat and me wearing my jingle bell, watching sis-in-law and bro-in-law exchange gifts, drinking coffee (with a morning slash, of course ... and my family's tradition of "funny orange juice," ingrained in us all by my father, will soon follow), and enjoying Christmassy music on the stereo.

Today I place under your virtual tree a Christmas edition of the morning reads. Enjoy:
  • To the moon (of Saturn)! Today marks the decent of our probe to Saturn's moon Titan. Might we find life? We might. But this kind of science ... a form of exploration nearly lost to us now ... it a great present from NASA to us all.

  • Christmas @ Grand Canyon. Go into the canyons this Christmas day and the Christmas sunrise via this webcam at Grand Canyon's Yavapai Point. Or see the Yule at Old Faithful and Zion. Peace on Earth? You can still feel it in these last wild places.

  • What exactly is a "Yule," anyway? Follow the link to read the full background and lots of other Christmas history, but here's the lead at Wikipedia:
It's the winter solstice Blót (celebration) in Asatru, the pagan practices of the Germanic peoples prior to the arrival of Christianity. Today, it is also one of the eight solar holidays, or sabbats, of Neopaganism. In modern neopaganism, Yule is celebrated on the winter solstice: in the northern hemisphere, circa December 21, and in the southern hemisphere, circa June 21.
In closing: Have a wonderful day of peace and family, and as my father would say, "God bless us, every one!"

3 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Blogger j said...

ah, kids. I just went into the great room, where the boys are playing Gamecube "Super Smash Bros. Melee." Has some great features, including the ability to toggle perspective. As I grabbed another refreshment, my attention was drawn to the game (by the relative lack of the usual activity and noise). Upon further reflection, I realized that they had paused the action with "Peach" (the only female character, and a hottie, if I do say so myself)in the air -- and were trying to rotate the field of view so that they could look up her billowing pink skirt. Alas, no panty-shots in SSBM. Perhaps there's a SSB-S&M game . . . .

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Everett said...

Ahhh, like father, like son ...

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the read on this posting and the comments that followed did make me chuckle. Is it the genes or the orange juice? g

 

Post a Comment

<< Home